yeah, the show is trash. i actually refused to watch jersey shore until recently… but man, they have some funny one-liners in there! so i made italian for a couple friends and we watched season 2 of trash on tv.
the same ol appetizer because heirloom tomatoes are BEAUTIFUL in the markets right now, penne alla vodka, and a cannoli cream dessert which i’ll post about separately.
an unnecessary amount of pics in this post. see if you can guess which pics i took and which pics my roommate took. it won’t be tough 🙂 she’s an amazing photographer!
so this is actually my variation of vodka sauce, i’m not entirely sure of its authenticity… i’m pretty sure it’s not authentic at all… but it’s yum so it’s ok 🙂
heat some butter and oil in a large skillet or saucepan (yes, both!)
throw in some crushed red pepper, and let it heat with the oil+butter so you have makeshift chili oil 🙂
once you think the oil has infused, slide in the chopped onion and garlic
saute until onions and garlic have softened and are fragrant
pour in about 1 cup of vodka
let it reduce by about half and let the alcohol cook out.
then add 1 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes and a few glugs of chicken broth. also salt, and any italian dried seasonings you have – oregano, basil, thyme, etc)
i like san marzano tomatoes
let it simmer for about10-15 minutes. or longer.
stir in about a 2-3 second pour of heavy cream. you want it to still have a reddish color because we’re going to add ricotta cheese as well.
then add a large spoonfull of ricotta, for extra creaminess. stir until melted.
toss in some fresh torn basil leaves
and then the cooked pasta!
some more pics for fun 🙂
penne alla krishna. ok, penne alla vodka
olive oil (to coat pan)
about 2 tbsp butter
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 small onion, minced
crushed red pepper flakes
32 oz can crushed tomatoes
chicken (or vegetable) broth, about 1/4 – 1/2 cup (i like the boxed kind, u can use the rest for soup or mashed potatoes)
1 cup vodka
italian seasoning (dried oregano, thyme, basil, etc)
2-4 big spoonfuls of ricotta cheese
1 package penne rigate, cooked
- in a very large skillet or stockpot, heat olive oil and butter over med heat until butter is melted and foamy.
- add onions and garlic, cook for a min and then add red pepper flakes to taste (i’d recommend at least a teaspoon for spicy)
- cook until fragrant and onions are soft
- add vodka, cook until reduced by about half or until you think the alcohol is cooked out
- add can of crushed tomatoes, and a few glugs of broth
- salt pepper, italian seasoning
- stir well, let come to a bubble for a little bit
- when almost ready to serve, put heavy cream in to get right color (stream in for about 2-3 seconds) you want it to be a little dark bc u will be adding the cheese as well
- stir in ricotta, let it melt in, and stir in torn fresh basil leaves
- taste, and adjust seasonings.
- add cooked pasta and toss and serve!