i made some pumpkin cupcakes for a visiting friend, and made way too much frosting. i racked my brain on how to avoid making the same cupcakes to use up the rest of the frosting (one can force-feed their friends only so much pumpkin cake) and then i figured- everything goes with brownies! note: these brownie cupcakes are dense and super fudgey. recipe adapted from here.
first, chop up some dark chocolate and 1 stick of butter and place in a microwave-safe bowl.
so the recipe called for 4 ounces of unsweetened chocolate. i had an issue with this. 4 ounces? bars are sold as 3.5 ounces, and the packs of ghiradelli squares are 5.5 ounces. so math was done and i used roughly 10 and a half squares of ghiradelli 60% cacao chocolate. it was probably too sweet but hey, fine by me!
microwave in 30 second intervals, mixing in between, until melted and smooth. it took me 3 30 second intervals.
you want them to be a little undercooked, so start checking at 20 minutes. a toothpick should come out with some crumbs.
let cool and frost and serve! 🙂
makes 12 cupcakes
4 ounces very dark chocolate, or 10 1/2 ghiradelli squares, chopped
1 stick butter, cut into chunks
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
- preheat oven to 325, line a 12 cup muffin tray with cupcake liners.
- microwave the chocolate and butter, in 30 second intervals, until smooth. let cool to room temperature.
- mix in the sugar and vanilla.
- mix in the eggs, one at a time.
- mix in the flour and salt, being careful not to overmix.
- fill the muffin tray cups about 1/2-3/4 full.
- bake for about 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a cupcake comes out with some crumbs.
pumpkin cream cheese frosting
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup pumpkin
3/4 cup powdered sugar (or more to taste)
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
few dashes pumpkin pie spice
1/2 cup heavy cream, whipped to stiff peaks
- mix the cream cheese, pumpkin and sugar until smooth.
- stir in vanilla and pumpkin pie spice.
- fold in the whipped cream.
- chill until ready to frost, at least 30 minutes.