pizza cupcakes > normal cupcakes😀
these are super easy since i used premade biscuit dough. but you can use homemade biscuit dough, premade pizza dough, homemade pizza dough… whatever you want! i will say that the biscuit dough, while not at ALL authentic, made for a delicious crust. also they’re already in little rounds, which makes for simple assembly. i used the non-flaky style of biscuits, i think they’re called grands.
preheat the oven to 375 and prep your muffin tin – just mist with nonstick spray.
take a biscuit round, and slice it horizontally to make 2 thinner rounds.
roll the thin round a little bit to stretch it out. then fit into a muffin tin so that it covers the sides as much as possible.
bake for just 5 min to get it started. the dough will puff a little.
remove the tray from the oven, and get fillin!
i put a slice of turkey pepperoni down first, to prevent the bottom crust from getting soggy from the sauce. next layer, a spoon or 2 of pizza or marinara sauce, with a dash of crushed red pepper. then mozzarella cheese and a small sprinkling of oregano. i made classic (turkey) pepperoni pizzas, but you can do anything you want at this point. get creative! blue cheese with apple and caramelized onion, alfredo mozzarella ricotta and pesto, bbq chicken with cheddar cheese and diced red onion… the possibilities are endless
bake until crusts are golden and the cheese is bubbly and just starts to blister.
try not to eat them all!
serve with a small salad as a meal, by themselves as a cute appetizer, or as a replacement for traditional cupcakes for someone’s birthday!
pizza cupcakes or mini deep dish pizzas
makes 12 cupcakes/pizzas
1 tube biscuits (preferably grands)
12 slices of turkey pepperoni
about 1/2 cup pizza sauce/marinara sauce
crushed red pepper
1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese
- spray a muffin tin with cooking spray and preheat oven to 375
- remove a biscuit round from the tube, slice in half horiztonally and roll to thin out. size should be large enough to go up the sides.
- place in the greased muffin tray and shape to fit. repeat for all 12 pizzas.
- bake crusts for 5 min.
- remove and let cool a little, then top: 1 slice of turkey pepperoni, about 2 teaspoons of sauce with some crushed red pepper, cheese to fill and top with oregano.
- bake until crust is browned and cheese is bubbly. wait 5 min before removing pizzas from muffin tray.