muffins are an excuse for people to eat cake for breakfast. and so are these pancakes 🙂
i got the recipe from here and made very few tweaks bc making batter terrifies me:
red velvet pancakes
1.5 cups flour
2.5 tablespoons cocoa powder (unsweetened)
4 tablespoons sugar
1.5 teaspoons baking powder
.5 teaspoon baking soda
1.5 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1.25 cups buttermilk
1.5 teaspoons vanilla extract
1-2 tablespoons red food coloring (recipe says 1, but i could have sworn i used 2)
1/2 stick melted butter
extra butter for cooking pancakes
- sift together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and soda, cinnamon and salt and whisk to combine.
- melt the butter in the microwave.
- mix the eggs, buttermilk, vanilla and food coloring (use enough to get that deep red color) in a separate bowl.
- when the melted butter is room temperature, mix into the wet ingredients.
- fold in the wet ingredients to the dry until just combined.
- heat a nonstick pan over medium high heat and throw in a pat or 2 of butter, spreading it around so it coats the pan.
- when the butter sizzles, pour in your batter.
- when the pancake has bubbles showing through, flip!
- serve with cream cheese icing and toasted pecans (just toast some pecans in a skillet until aromatic and don’t let them burn).
really easy cream cheese icing
8 oz. cream cheese
1/4-1/2 cup powdered sugar, to taste. add more if you want it to be sweeter.
big splash of vanilla extract
1/2 tub of cool whip (don’t judge, it works)
- soften the cream cheese in the microwave (great tip from zh!)
- mix the softened cream cheese with the powdered sugar until creamy.
- add in the vanilla, and stir in a couple heavy splashes of heavy cream until a lighter consistency.
- fold in the cool whip and taste! add more heavy cream if you need to thin it out more.