these are pink, but skip the red food coloring and they’re normal snickerdoodles. super easy – most ingredients are already in your pantry!
most cookie recipes start off the same, with softened butter and sugar. so set out 2 sticks of unsalted butter on the counter and let them soften, do not microwave them.
sift together 2 3/4 cups flour, teaspoon baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 2 teaspoons of cream of tartar.
in a separate bowl, cream the softened butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar… read more about creaming butter and sugar here. has a nice little explanation of why we cream butter and sugar as well 🙂
beat in 2 eggs to the butter and sugar, then mix in the sifted dry ingredients. i like to fold it in, and make sure not to overmix! if you want colored snickerdoodles, add a few drops of food coloring at this point.
cover with saran wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes to make sure that the butter is nicely chilled before going into the oven!
in a bowl mix equal parts sugar and cinnamon, for rolling.
preheat the oven to 400 degrees and prepare some cookie sheets with parchment paper. if you want to take the extra step, chill the cookie sheets in the refrigerator as well. I don’t think it’s necessary, but I just always take this step with cookie baking to make sure that the cookies don’t spread too much.
once the dough has chilled, working quickly and in batches, roll the dough into small 1″ balls. then coat these with the cinnamon sugar, and place on the prepared baking sheets. keep in mind the cookies will spread so leave space in between them on the sheet.
bake each batch for 10-11 minutes, making sure that each new tray has fully cooled and chilled (if desired) before filling it up with more cookies. the cookies will crack at the tops, giving them the classic snickerdoodle look.
i ended up getting impatient and crowding the cookie sheets a little, resulting in not all perfectly round cookies. oh well 🙂
adapted from Martha Stewart’s recipe
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
2 sticks of butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
cinnamon and sugar for rolling, about 3 tablespoons each, more if needed
- sift together the flour, baking soda, salt and cream of tartar
- in a separate bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until fluffy
- mix the eggs in to the creamed butter and sugar
- fold the dry ingredients in to the butter/sugar/egg mixture until just combined
- add few drops food coloring if desired
- chill dough for at least 30 minutes
- preheat oven to 400 degrees and prepare chilled cookie sheets with parchment paper
- mix together cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl
- make 1″ balls of cookie dough and roll in the cinnamon sugar, place on prepared cookie sheets
- bake each batch for 10-11 minutes until tops are cracked.